Heading into the Silly Season, I always have plenty of functions to go to, and I’m sure you do too. Some are very casual, but many are the full cook up feasting frenzy! I’ve got a few tips for you to help you get through without bursting at the seams or forgetting what it feels like to be hungry.
The morning of the frenzy:
- A green smoothie is a perfect pre or post feasting breakfast.
- Drink lemon juice squeezed in water 20 minutes before each meal to keep your digestive juices flowing
- Do some exercise no matter how little time you have.
- Have a decent meal beforehand, preferably packed with vegetables to keep your liver happy and the nutrients flowing
During the Frenzy:
- Don’t go to dinner or lunch starving. You’re more likely to overfill your plate. Besides, is a Christmas meal ever at a mealtime?
- Be mindful of how much booze and nibbles you have before the meal that may be hours away.
- If you have to take a plate, make it a fruit platter, roast vegetable salad, or tossed greens so you know you have something less stodgy to fill up on.
- Eat mindfully, don’t scoff your food down like you’ll never eat again!
- Keep your portions in check. You will not die of starvation in the next 24 hours!
- Get everyone outside and for a walk after the meal to stretch the legs, talk to someone different and let the food settle before tackling dessert!!
The morning after:
- Try holding off on breakfast until late morning to give your system a rest.
- Keep today’s meals light especially if you have to back it up tomorrow!
- Drink plenty of water with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to keep the digestive juices flowing
- Go for a long walk and get some fresh air into your lungs
- When you’re not eating out, eat light on the protein and heavy on the greens
Don’t forget to be kind, tolerant and grateful for what you have and who you are with.